Friday, February 01, 2013

Looking For Alaska by: John Green


This is my third book for the month of January....Happy to say I finished three books this month I really hope that I can hold on to it till the year ends....

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green

Miles Halter is fascinated with famous last words and tired of his simple and boring life in Florida so he convinced his parents to send him to Culver Creek Boarding School in Alabama in which his father took his boarding school. Miles Halter seeks for his own "Great Perhaps" the famous last words of Francois Rabelais. There he met his room mate named Chip called colonel who gave Miles an a.k.a "Pudge", a guy named Takumi and their girl best friend Alaska. Alaska Young is a beautiful, literate, moody and a girl with a head full of elaborated pranks. With his newly found friends Miles "Pudge" learned to drink, smoke and had started making pranks in school. While their drinking Alaska drives insanely drunk out of the school after receiving a call and then her car crashed, instantly died.

Chip and Pudge was very devastated on the death of their beloved friend Alaska, blaming themselves why and how on Earth they let Alaska drive insanely drunk. Wondering what caused her death if she committed suicide, or was killed accidentally. While discovering evidences on what happened to her Pudge had learned things in life about friends, grief, healing, sacrifices, and trust. At the end of their grief they had organized a historic prank which is dedicated for their friend Alaska Young.


Parts I loved:

" I wanted so badly to lie down next to her on the couch, to wrap my arms around her and sleep. Not fuck, like in those movies. Not even have sex. Just sleep together, in the most innocent sense of the phrase."


Quotations I loved:

"The only way out of this labyrinth of suffering  is to forgive."
" They love their hair because they are not smart enough to love something more interesting."
" I may die young, but at least Ill die smart."
" Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always win war."

*************

It is a very refreshing book to read it turns the hands of my time to my teenage years. How I learned to drink, smoke and did some crazy things with my friends. The death of Alaska turns the story into small thrills. I was expecting that they will discover that Alaska is just doing some well planned pranks for them. But then the truth really hurts in every kind of ways. This book teaches how to cope up in griefs, shows true to life incidents, about finding personal identity, relationships and death. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you.